Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What happened to Samuel Mcmurray?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 11 May 2011 10:56

Hi

Can anyone help with with this one please?
My 2x gt grandfather was Samuel Mcmurray, he was born in County Cavan in Ireland circa 1859. He moved to England with his mum, dad and siblings in the 1860's. He married Adeline Wilson my 2x gt grandmother in Ridgway nr Chesterfield in 1882.They lived in Rotherham and had 4 children. By 1891 Samuel had dissapeared and Adeline was living with George Stanley and her children in Rotherham. On the 1901 census Samuel was living in Sheffield with a young housekeeper called Eliza Martin, they never married but had ten children together. The problem is that after the 1911 census where Sam's still with Eliza i don't know what happens to him. I can't find no death registration which fits with his age. I know one of his first sons called Sam went to live in New York (could Samuel have gone over there?).
My grandmother who was the granddaughter of Samuel through his marriage to Adeline said they that the family didn't want anything to do with him.
HELP!!! :S

Susan

Susan Report 11 May 2011 11:27

A Possible Death Reg

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005
about Samuel Mcmurray
Name: Samuel Mcmurray
Death Registration Month/Year: 1925
Age at death (estimated): 64
Registration district: Manchester South
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8d
Page: 188

Derek

Derek Report 11 May 2011 11:34

Thanks Susan

I did notice this one but from the census records it looks like there is a Samuel Mcmurray born around that time living in Lancashire near Manchester. I would presume this death registry would relate to him.
I've been tracing my family for years but Samuel as always been a mystery.

Susan

Susan Report 11 May 2011 11:43

Sorry Derek it is not him ,I did notice on Ancestry that there is a few Samuels that went to the Us but I am affaid I don't have world coverage so I can't look at them for you .

God luck in your search I too have a few of those brick walls.
Sue

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Aug 2013 00:48

Will send a pm re email addy

Christine

Christine Report 1 Aug 2013 10:30

Hi Derek, Just came across your post whilst trawling the internet for my McMurrays. I think we may be related as Samuel McMurray born circa 1859 County Cavan is the brother of my 2x great grandmother, Elizabeth McMurray. I have all the names you mention above in my tree, inlcuding Adeline Wilson, George Stanley and Eliza Martin. I, too, have never found his death but years ago I contacted a descendant of his and they told me he made frequent trips to Ireland whilst living with Eliza Martin. My guess is that he died in Ireland. I wonder if we have been in touch before. It would be nice to compare notes. :-)