Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ireland Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 31 Mar 2011 09:57

Hi all. I am trying to find a birth record for my great grandfather Patrick Nally. I have information that he was born in County Mayo, Ireland in 1866 (According to his census form of 1911 when he was living in Bradford Manchester with his Daughter Elizabeth b1890). He was also on another census form in 1911 listed as Patrict Nally as a lodger at Ellen Morrissey's house in Ashton-under-lyne. I now know that he was the father of Willie Morrissey (b1908) and Ruth Morrissey (b1910). On Willie Morrissey's birth cert Willie is named as William Joseph Nalley. His father being Patrick Joseph Nalley and mother being Ellen Nalley formerly Morrissey although they never married. Patrick married Elizabeth Horton in 1888 in the district of Prestwich and i think Elizabeth died in 1910. I also think that Patrick died at 54 years of age in 1921. It would appear that Patrick was a bit of a rum one in that he fathered two children whilst still married and also listing his surname differently on the census and on his son's birth cert. If anyone could help me locate his birth or maybe give some pointers as to how i can do this i would be very grateful.
Many thanks in advance
Mark

Flick

Flick Report 31 Mar 2011 10:03

Google Irish bmd

Mark

Mark Report 31 Mar 2011 10:21

i'll give it a go

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 31 Mar 2011 11:48

Hi Mark,

nearest I could see;

Name: Patrick Joseph Mcnally
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place:
Birth Date: 17 Feb 1866
Birthplace: Mayo, Ireland
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: John Mcnally
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Bridget Walsh
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02878-3
System Origin: Ireland-EASy
Source Film Number: 101123
Reference Number: v 4-1

You would really need his marriage certificate to Elizabeth in 1888 to confirm his fathers name.

Dee x

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 31 Mar 2011 12:14

1891 England Census
about Patrick Nally
Name: Patrick Nally
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Lizze M Nally
Where born: Ireland

Civil parish: Bradford
Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Prestwich
Sub-registration district: Newton
ED, institution, or vessel: 38
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Patrick Nally 24
Lizze M Nally 23
Lizze Nally 1

Could this be the same family??

1901 England Census
about Lizzie M Mulloy
Name: Lizzie M Mulloy
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: John Mulloy
Mother's Name: Lizzie Mulloy
Where born: Bradford, Lancashire, England

Civil parish: North Manchester
Ecclesiastical parish: St Aidan
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Prestwich
Sub-registration district: Newton
ED, institution, or vessel: 41
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 59
Household Members: Name Age
John Mulloy 34 >>> Born Mayo, bricklayer
Lizzie Mulloy 35 >> Born Dublin
Lizzie M Mulloy 11

Mark

Mark Report 31 Mar 2011 13:20

thanks Dee. Patrick married Elizabeth when he called himself Patrick Nally but if i have the right one, he died Patrick McNally which is my surname now. On my grandfather's birth cert he calls himself Patrick Joseph Nalley and occupation is Labourer in ironworks. On the 1911 census he calls himself Patrick Nally and living in Bradford, Manchester occupation labourer in ironworks living with Daughter Lizzie b1890. I've just sent off for his death cert so i'll be a little wiser hopefully. I'll let you know how i get on.
Thanks again for your help Dee
Mark

Joy

Joy Report 31 Mar 2011 14:04

Civil registration for births in Ireland started in 1864 so you should be able to obtain his birth certificate if he was born after then. Try searching for his birth:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
An index of Ireland civil registration including births, 1864-1958, marriages, 1845-1958, and deaths, 1864-1958.

Concerning the surname, sometimes the Mc would be added, sometimes not :-)

Mark

Mark Report 31 Mar 2011 16:42

thanks for that Joy. i've found the first one that Dee listed above so i'll follow that one first.
Just one more thing (as columbo said)
Was it common practice to add/remove the Mc as and when they pleased or was it to throw people off searching for them?
Dee and Joy you have both been a great help
Thanking you
Mark

Joy

Joy Report 31 Mar 2011 20:25

You're welcome :-)

It was common practice, just as, for instance, McAlarney became Mclarney, With surnames, one has to think very laterally at times :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Mar 2011 22:35

With ref to Dee's hit:

One can purchase certs (or cheaper still, the uncertified images of the rego) via:
http://www.groireland.ie/

Mark

Mark Report 1 Apr 2011 11:09

thanks mgnv
i'll log that add

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 Feb 2015 22:14

adding the link to the new post by a family member in case she doesn't reach Mark and he checks his thread later.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1349563

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Feb 2015 23:51

This message is for Mark who, in March 2011 was searching for members of his family, specifically his great grandfather Patrick Nally.
My name is Patricia Davenport, my maiden name was Patricia McNally and, after reading carefully the information you posted I believe that my father was your grandfather Mark.
I found your information by chance when I went online to search for my brother whose name was William Patrick Mc Nally. Unfortunately I found he had died on May 1st 2014 (aged 75). That search somehow led me to Genesreunited where I saw your posts.
I am not exactly into family trees, rather I am interested in the people connected to my grandfather, my father, and my brother, who all seem to be, as you so aptly put it “rum ones“. I was aware that my brother Billy (William Patrick Mc Nally) fathered more children than he cared to be responsible for and it was part of the reason I disconnected with him. However, I did always wonder how those children fared. I also wondered about my own grandmother on my father’s side and my aunts and would appreciate any information on them.
If you happen to see this and are still interested in finding out more information on your family please feel free to contact me on this site

mgnv

mgnv Report 16 Feb 2015 07:23

Patricia - since it's an oldish post, Mark may no longer be checking on it.
It would be advisable to send him a private message - just click on his name above his post - if he's got the same email, or has kept GR informed abt his current email addy, then he should get your message.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Feb 2015 14:45

mgnv, see the link I added ahead of Patricia's post