Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral Rolls Portsmouth 1930s+

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 17 Sep 2010 13:13

Is it possible to access these rolls so far back? I am looking for an Albert G Sweetman, shipwright and his wife Violet Louisa, they had a son John b1935. Violet was orphaned at an early age, been trying to find her on and off for years. I have info and photographs for her children/g.children which would be of interest.

Thank you

Joy

Joy Report 17 Sep 2010 13:22

They would be in the records office or main library there.

I have searched them and Kelly's Directories for that time and earlier in Bournemouth.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 17 Sep 2010 13:49

Thank you for info. shall have a go

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 17 Sep 2010 16:10

Might not help much - but info from 1983 telephone directory

British Phone Books, 1880-1984 about V L Sweetman
Name: V L Sweetman
Address: 45 Wymering Rd
Exchange: Portsmouth
City/Town: Portsmouth
Directory title: Portsmouth Jan
Publication Year: 1983
Directory County: Hampshire
Page Number: 484

Mary

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Sep 2010 16:46

Chris
Do you mean that you want to give items to the descendants?
If so, the local daily newspaper for Portsmouth, ..The News... has a free column called.... Where Are They Now?...where they will publish a short message of request for people to contact you. You can give a brief outline of the relevant part of that family and location etc.
You can contact them online.

Fareham /Portchester ERs for that time are in Winchester Record Office, but I don't know if they hold city ones.

Gwyn

Michael

Michael Report 20 Jun 2014 13:08

Hi Chris, I know this is 4 years later but I have only just found your post!
Albert George Sweetman was my grandfather and married to Nellie Heap before she died. my father (Maurice) was born 1920 and lived at 45 Wymering Road up until he met my mother Dorothy, who sadly passed 4 months ago. Albert re married and Violet and had Dad`s brother, Uncle John. We have many pictures of uncle John and Violet here at home sitting in a tin bath, reading newspapers etc and many many stories that were passed down. Loads of Naval things and photos here from Albert and his father and before that.

I have a lot of information that might help you if you still need it 4 years on!

Michael

Dea

Dea Report 20 Jun 2014 17:02

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the boards..........

I think you are in luck as I am sure that I have seen Chris posting quite recently so I think still a member.

They might not be following this thread now so may miss your reply.

Click on Chris's name and send a personal message just in case.

Dea x