Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ahern or Aherne, Cork in Ireland. Around 1919

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

itsme

itsme Report 17 Apr 2010 10:45

Hi, I am trying to find information about a man with surname Ahern or Aherne, who lived in Ireland. His family owned and he worked at a hotel in Crosshaven, Cork in Ireland around 1919 ish. He had a sister but that is all I know. Apart from his dad got him a pork butchers shop in Cork for him to run, and that also was around 1919.
Any help would be most appreciated.
A

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 17 Apr 2010 10:49

Without first names or dates for births I think you are looking for a needle in a haystack.

Irish records are difficult to find things for at the best of times.

Maybe try the 1911 census of Ireland as I suggested on your other post about Mary B Sheehan?

itsme

itsme Report 17 Apr 2010 11:04

Hi, yes thank you I did try the 1911 Irish census and found I think the right Mary Bridget Sheehan. As you said the problem I have is I do not have a first name for Aherne. I only know that he lived at a hotel in Crosshaven, Cork, with his family who owned it. His father got him a butchers to run in Cork as the Priests were apparently going to run him out of town. He got a couple of ladies pregnant. My mother in law who is now 91, was one of those children. She was told at the age of 15 by the Priest that now she must use her fathers surname of Ahern or Aherne (not sure of the spelling. I am trying to find as much information as I can as she has always wanted to find the true information before she dies. I have tried to find her birth information but have hit a brick wall. She thinks or is convinced due to certain factors that her mum was Mary B Sheehan.
A

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 17 Apr 2010 11:10

Have you searched here for her birth cert ref to be able to get it from Roscommon?

pilot.familysearch.org

Is her name Mary Bridget as well?

Please would you send me your M.I.Ls name,place of birth and birth date by Pm and then I can try to help search.

I will have to go out in a short while but will try later.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 Apr 2010 11:46

Aherne..1911 Crosshaven...Jeremiah is Publican and Butcher.

Residents of house number 58 in Crosshaven Town (Templebreedy, Cork)

Aherne Jeremiah 43 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic County Cork Publican and Butsher Read and write Irish and English Married - 3 2 2
Aherne Mary 30 Female Wife Roman Catholic County Cork - Read and Write Irish and English Married - 3 2 2
Aherne John P 2 Male Son Roman Catholic County Cork - Cannot read Irish and English - - - - -
Aherne Matthew P 1 Male Son Roman Catholic County Cork - - - - - - - -
OCallaghan Jeremiah 24 Male Domestic Servant Roman Catholic Co Cork Ruller Read and write Irish and English Single - - - -
Lee Bridget 21 Female Domestic Servant

itsme

itsme Report 19 Apr 2010 16:49

Hi FannyByGaslight, so sorry, have only just found out how to access these replys. My mother in laws name is Doris Ahern or Aherne. She thinks she may have added the e herself but not sure. (She is 91 now)! She thinks her date of birth is 06/02/1919. She was fostered by 2 brothers and 2 sisters called Dineen, in Cork, Ireland when she was about 2 or 3. Mary Bridget Sheehan visited a few times a year to see her and when she was about 8 years old and in a hospital, they thought she was going to die. The Dineens tried to take her from the hospital to die at home. But they couldn't. Mary B came along and argued with the doctors and took her back to the Dineen house. So we assume it would only be a mother who has that sway. Unfortunately she stopped visiting when mum was about 20, and she never heard from her again as she herself went on to Yorkshire to do war work when she was about 21. Mums biggest regret is not asking questions.
I did look at the 1911 Irish census and came up with Mary B as mum remembered the sisters name and so we could pin it down that way. If this was her, she would have been around 33 when she gave birth to mum.

itsme

itsme Report 19 Apr 2010 16:55

Hi Eringobragh, thank you so much for searching, but the Aherne man I am looking for would have to be a little older as he got a couple of ladies pregant about 1918. Did you see anyone like that?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 19 Apr 2010 18:46

itsme...

I am sending you a Personal Message ( you access this by clicking on "Messages" along the top of the Board).

Given the "sensitive" info.surrounding grandmothers Birth etc.it may be some relatives of the named families are still living and not know about or wish details to be in the Public Domain...

Maureen

Maureen Report 27 Apr 2014 16:36

Hi has anyone any ifomation on a Hannah {ahern ,Aherne] born cork ireland `1826 ish] came to uk married Charles Rowe b st Albans 1823 or that is what was said in the census 1871 woodmansterne surrey. we know they a son Charles Rowe b 1869 . my grandad we cannot find any bmd or any ealier census of Hannah or husband C harles. please help i have been stuck for years, i am disabled so cannot research only on the computer [if working. ?/. thanks Mo

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Apr 2014 16:55

Maureen It may be better if you started your own thread on the board.....as you can see by the heading the previous poster was looking for Aherne abt 1919 ...you are after looking nearly a century earlier...that being said I will have a look see if anything can be found relating to Hannah....

Maureen

Maureen Report 29 Apr 2014 15:18

Thankyou Eringobragh,! that is so kind of you . maureen.