Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Louisa Penny's (1815) maiden name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 9 May 2009 17:07

I have tried in every way I can to find my 3x gr grandmother's maiden name: Familysearch and the Dorset & Somerset Family History Society. She was born c 1815 in Horsington, Somerset, as was her husband, Thomas. Familysearch has the record of the baptism of their first child but her maiden name is not given. The DSFHS says that there is no record of a marriage for these two in Horsington. The first child was born in 1834.

Firstly, has anyone any other ideas? I would like to know when the marriage took place (if one did, of course!)

Secondly, I have wondered if her name might be Strickland. They gave that name as a middle name to their first two sons, though not to the third. What do folk think?

Hopefully,

Heather

Julie

Julie Report 9 May 2009 17:08

Was any of their children born after 1837

Heather

Heather Report 9 May 2009 17:12

Yes, most of them and I have their birth details (Freebmd/Ancestry). But none of them appears on familysearch. I don't know if they only baptised the first or whether the records have been mislaid. I tried because I hoped that Louisa's name might have been on one of the others.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 9 May 2009 17:17

Hi Heather,

If you send for one of the birth certificates it will give you the maiden name of mother

Regards Jackie

Julie

Julie Report 9 May 2009 17:18

1 of their B/C's will give you her maiden name

Heather

Heather Report 9 May 2009 17:21

How stupid I am - so obvious!

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 9 May 2009 17:40

I've found this entry in the 1841 census ..... is John & Ann Thomas parents?

Name: Louisa Penny
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816
Where born: Somerset, England

Civil Parish: Horsington
Hundred: Horethorne
County/Island: Somerset

Street address:

View Image

Registration district: Wincanton
Sub-registration district: Milborne Port
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Penny 25
Louisa Penny 25
Jasper Penny 7
Lucy Penny 5
Samuel Penny 2
John Penny 70
Ann Penny 60
Frances Penny 25

Raymond

Raymond Report 3 Apr 2014 20:46

Louisa Strickland was married to Thomas Penny at Templecombe. There were no baptism records for Louisa though.
Ray Penny

patchem

patchem Report 3 Apr 2014 20:53

Raymond,

This thread is almost 5 years old, and the participants may no longer be reading the boards.

You could try clicking on their names if you want to send them a message.
If they are still members of genes then they will be notified of your pm.