Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Howard M King

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 24 Nov 2008 20:29

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but...
On the 11th November I was in a charity shop and spotted a framed photograph (head and shoulders) of a young officer from the First Word War. I think the photo has been hand tinted and it's in it's original frame. It has been signed in pencil 'Howard M King, Croydon' My husband thinks that's the name of the photographer but I think it is the young man in the photo. Anyway, I couldn't leave him there on Armistice Day so I brought him home. (I get quite upset over photo's given to charity shops) There were 2 other photo's in the shop, a man and a woman who may well have been husband and wife and could have been related to Howard. I am sure that someone out there must be related and would love to have his picture. If you think he may be one of your relatives, please contact me, I'd love him to return 'home'.
Here's hoping!
Lisa :o)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2008 21:09

Army or navy?

and could I say what a lovely old softy you are!!!!

Ann X

Lisa

Lisa Report 24 Nov 2008 22:04

Hi Ann,
Yes I am a bit soft in the middle!
Definitely Army, khaki jacket and peaked cap. Unfortunately the cap badge and lapel badges aren't quite clear enough to check up on.

Lisa x

Ann

Ann Report 24 Nov 2008 22:28

Hi lisa this looks like it could his birth and maybe someone will have him in their tree best of luck with the search

Surname Given Name District Volume Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1880
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KING Howard Marmaduke Croydon 2a 223

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 24 Nov 2008 23:34

your husband may be right!
from googling name this came up from national archives

Conveyance, with plan. 8/11 26 April 1934

Contents:
(i) Walter Rason of 4 Stanley Park Road, Wellington estate agent.
(ii) Howard Marmaduke King of Clappersgate, 18 Mayfield Road, Sanderstead, Surrey, photographic artist.
Nos. 7 & 9 Manor Road, and the land to the rear there

Deed of dedication 8/12 13 Oct. 1936

Contents:
(i) Howard Marmaduke King of 85 George Street, Croydon.
(ii) Urban District Council of Beddington and Wallington
Land at the front of Nos. 7 & 9 Manor Road, to improve footpath.
Annexed: plan

Debra

Debra Report 25 Nov 2008 00:02

I just had to say how wonderful it is for you to have purchased the photo and to post a message on here.
Hopefully it will find its owner soon!

Lisa

Lisa Report 25 Nov 2008 18:35

Thank you every one for the kind words and help.
I can't help feeling a little sad that the name may well be the photographer (thanks Lancashire Ann) but I suppose it's not totally beyond the bounds of possibility that the photographer could well be the person in the picture too?? I think I shall have to bite the bullet and take him out of the frame to check the back. I shall let you all know what I find.

Dea

Dea Report 25 Nov 2008 18:44

What have you found Lisa??

Dea x

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Nov 2008 22:05

Hi everyone,
Thank you all for adding bits of information to my thread.
After carefully scoring the seals and removing my soldier from his original frame for the first time since he was put in it, I have found........nothing! The mount is the back of an old foolscap pad and on the back, written in pencil is some gobbledegook and '50098B Gibb'. Maybe Gibb is my soldiers name? But I think that this is probably the end of this thread. It must be nigh on impossible to trace a soldier with just a surname and a whereabouts. I am quite happy with him sitting on my cupboard and will hopefully try again when I have more time (Christmas and all that!). Do you think that the numbers are the photographer's number or could it be the soldier's number? There you see, I'm getting sucked in again!

Thanks again everyone
Lisa x

Lisa

Lisa Report 27 Nov 2008 23:35

Hi Deborah,
I was wondering the same thing about the number. I had a quick look on Ancestry at the war records and there are a few Gibbs on there but their numbers bear no resemblance to 50098B. Also the Gibbs I looked at were all privates - no officers. It's a shame his badges aren't clearer but I shall definitely see if I can track him down through his regiment after Christmas.

Howard

Howard Report 27 Mar 2014 15:41

Dear Lisa,

I have a similar studio photograph signed in pencil by Howard M King Croydon of my Great Uncle Alf Engers in the Royal Canadian Air Force taken about 1918.

H. Engers in Geneva Switzerland

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Mar 2014 15:47

Howard

If you wish to try to contact Lisa, click on her name........she hasn't posted on here for well over 5 years.

TIP

Always check posting dates when you dig up old threads............