Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tessa Keen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tessa

Tessa Report 4 Feb 2003 00:59

In 1995 I was informed of a family story that started in 1820s. My Great-great- great grandmother Mary Surfleet ( nee Herringshaw) from Wharton by Blyton in N. Lincs had a cherry orchard. One year she had a bumper crop of cherries and as an investment from the profit of the crop she went out and bought 12 silver teaspoons with the intials JMS engraved on them. John and Mary Surfleet. On her death she left three spoons to each of her four daughters and requested that they be passed through the female line. In the 1980s Margaret Stevens, from Cornwall, who was the great- granddaughter of one of Marys daughters started a search for the missing spoons, and as a result has travelled half way round the world and put together quarter of my family tree. If she had not advertised for the spoons in the local paper, and my dads cousin had not read it, and recognised that she had two of them we would never had met. I was descended through the male line and therefore knew nothing of the spoons or the story. However there are still 7 spoons unaccounted for. Can anyone help.?