Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stokes Caroline London bn abt 1823

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

huntingdonshire

huntingdonshire Report 14 Nov 2010 06:05

Caroline Stokes bn abt 1823 in London looking for her birth, parents, and her migration to Australia. believe her father to be Henry Stokes.
She was in Aust by 1849, possibly 1844. Could have been married to George Gerrard.
Love any help or ideas of where to go

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 14 Nov 2010 06:21

Possibles. No father called Henry except earlier than you said:

Name: Caroline Stokes
Record Type: Baptism
Estimated Birth Date: abt 1822
Baptism Date: 3 Feb 1822
Father's name: Charles Stokes
Mother's name: Sarah Stokes
Parish or Poor Law Union: St Marylebone
Borough: Westminster

Estimated Birth Date: abt 1824
Baptism Date: 23 Jun 1824
Father's name: John Hewson Stokes
Mother's name: Naomi Stokes
Parish or Poor Law Union: Bethnal Green St Matthew
Borough: Tower Hamlets

Name: Caroline Morris Stokes
Estimated Birth Date: abt 1823
Baptism Date: 9 Feb 1823
Father's name: William Vincent Frederick Stokes
Mother's name: Rebecca Stokes
Parish or Poor Law Union: St George the Martyr
Borough: Southwark

Name: Caroline Elizabeth Stokes
Estimated Birth Date: abt 1825
Baptism Date: 25 Aug 1825
Father's name: Charles Stokes
Mother's name: Caroline Stokes
Parish or Poor Law Union: St Pancras
Borough: Camden

Estimated Birth Date: abt 1820
Baptism Date: 21 Jun 1820
>>Father's name: Henry Stokes
Mother's name: Ann Stokes
Parish or Poor Law Union: St Pancras
Borough: Camden

CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom Report 14 Nov 2010 08:44

Certainly the Caroline Stokes that married George Gerrard was already in Australia in 1844 when she married.

V18441951 76/1844 GERRARD GEORGE STOKES CAROLINE JN (district)

Do you have this certificate? If she died in NSW her death record would usually give the name of her parents I believe. Do you know when she died?

huntingdonshire

huntingdonshire Report 15 Nov 2010 19:33

Yes i found her death, 1886 but nothing on the certificate to prove who she was who she married ect. Australia was pretty pitiful for that till a few years later. Then every state does what they please with want they want on it. she used her marriage dates to George as her marriage dates to my g.g.grandpa. we cant poove she married him.
Caroline gerard died 1907 with parents Walter and Anna. no sir name. I think i can discard the gerrard copnnection, although the marriage dates are a bug bear
However i found a Caroline born to Thomas Stokes, and a lot of the siblings to caroline are the names she used for her children.
so the questions continue.

BigAl54

BigAl54 Report 11 Jun 2012 02:36

Caroline received her "permission to marry" George Gerrard in her convicted name of Catherine Stokes on 20 March 1844, 5 days before the wedding, and her Ticket of Leave (No 44/975) another 5 days before that. She was sentenced at 16yrs of age to 7 yrs transportation at the Old Bailey on 8 May 1837 on two counts of "Larceny by Servant", and transported on the Surrey in 1840.
The offences occurred in Bethnal Green and I think the most likely baptism record is the one for Caroline d. of John Hewson and Naomi Stokes (nee Palmer) - the dates fit, one witness said the accused "lived in the area", and "Catherine" was most likely an alias (common in these cases I understand).
John Hewson Stokes was a shoemaker, who died in London House Asylum, South Hackney on 16 Jan 1839 of "apoplexy". The 1841 Census shows Naomi struggling on in the shoe business, with other children at home in Bethnal Green, including John Hewson Stokes Jnr, but no sign of Caroline.
George Gerrard had received a similar permission to marry a Johanna Carty in 1842, also at Parramatta, where the women convict's "Factory' was located.
Hope this helps, if you are still researching.

jax

jax Report 11 Jun 2012 02:55

Hi BigAl54

As this was over 18 months ago that Huntingdonshire posted this It may be better to send a private message by clicking on the purple send message. I the email address is the same they will be notified

huntingdonshire

huntingdonshire Report 29 Mar 2014 10:35

i have seen this :) thank you. we still stuggle on with no proof. is most likely a good enough cause to claim them?
:-)