Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Atkinson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 21 Mar 2003 17:35

Shail. My mother's maiden name and my middle name. History as told by my Grandfather. The name Shail was created about the year 1722 when a family left Ireland and settled in Wiltshire. The reason for leaving was to avoid being hanged for sheep stealing! The family changed it's name to Shail upon arrival in Wiltshire and settled to farming sheep. It' isn't known if they were the ones that had been stolen! The family consisted of husband and wife and four sons. My mother met another Shail during the 1940's and he told her virtually the same story. If it's true them all Shails would be fairly closely related.