Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

great great John or Jack Redhead

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 8 Sep 2007 20:32

Hi, I am looking to find out more about my Great great grandad John but he was maybe more well known as Jack,he was born in (1802c).He had 17 children and was married twice that i know, one of the children was called John (1841c) . The first nine children were to his first wife Elizabeth Winn (1807c) she died in 1842 and the eight were to his second wife Anne Robinson (1808c) they married in 1844.John born (1841c) was my great grandad who married Sarah Boskill (1845c) and they had two boys called Syd and George born (1907) ( he was my grandad),he was a farmer most of his life he married Ethel Downing born (1908) and was from Suffolk.
Hope this is any good to someone.

Regards amanda

Stephen

Stephen Report 21 Sep 2007 12:53

Amanda,
John Redhead (sometimes Readhead) was my great, great g/father also, but through John Henry
Readhead (born 1850). I have a list of the 17 children with approximate birth years, and also a little of the marriages of some of them.
John's father was Thomas(1777) who married Elizabeth Marshall in 1799,and moving back one more generation, Robert Re(a)dhead (b. unknown)was the father of Thomas. Robert married Mary Goodbon in Knaith Lincolnshire in 1769.
Hope this helps, and do keep in touch.
e-mail: [email protected]
Regards
Steve Redhead

Amanda

Amanda Report 21 Sep 2007 17:30

Hi, hope you are well and thankyou for replying.
My great great g/father John Redhead was born at East Butterwick (Lincolnshire) his son was also called John born around 1841 and married Sarah Boskill, he lived and died in Winterton,(Lincolnshire).Sarah died in 1908, she was also from Winterton.They had two sons George and Syd.
My grandad was George born 1907 and married Ethel Downing born 1908 and they had three children, Mary born 1939, Susan born 1944 and James born 1949,
How old are you and where are you from if you don't mind me asking and have you anymore information?

Regards Amanda

Stephen

Stephen Report 21 Sep 2007 22:15

Amanda.
Fancy asking a man his age!! 57.
Born in Bradford, currently living in East Sussex, but ancestors hail from Butterwick, Messingham and other Lincolnshire villages.I have some other information which I have received from other sources, and would be more than willing to share.
Contact me via my e-mail, or if you would prefer, will provide address or tel. no.. Where are you residing?
Steve

Amanda

Amanda Report 22 Sep 2007 13:24

Hi,thankyou for replying
I was born in Scunthorpe and I am living in Spain and its raining today.
What other information do you have??

Amanda

Amanda

Amanda Report 27 Sep 2007 08:24

Hi Steve hope you well. Have you anymore information??

Regards Amanda

Stephen

Stephen Report 27 Sep 2007 15:55

Amanda,
bet it is warmer where you are.
do you want to access my tree, it is far from complete but will give you an indication of where i am at, and you can pick and choose the info you need if i have it.
steve

Amanda

Amanda Report 27 Sep 2007 16:39

Steve,
Yes its a lot warmer , its 78 in the shade and its 5.45 so its nice.
Yes please i would like to look at your tree, thankyou

regards amanda

Stephen

Stephen Report 1 Oct 2007 23:16

amanda,
you need to make a request via the genes reunited website to view my tree, i can then authorise it.
alternatively forward your e-mail and i could attach some info.
cheers Steve

Eloise

Eloise Report 31 Oct 2007 15:00

Hello to both Steve and Amanda,

I have links to Redheads in Cumbria and Lancashire, back to around 1870. He was called William (born in Skerton, Lancs), and married Elizabeth. He had 5 kids.

It's a real long-shot, but I wonder if there is a connection with your trees. I only ask because I've reached the end of the research at the moment, and am trying to find matches amongst GR members!

Thanks, Ellie

Amanda

Amanda Report 2 Nov 2007 19:57

Hi Eloise, if you don't mind me asking what information have you all ready on the Redheads.

regards Amanda

Eloise

Eloise Report 13 Nov 2007 12:47

Hi Amanda,

Oops, I thought that GR would inform me when there was a reply on a thread, so sorry for the delay, I've only just seen your message!

The information I have is below:

William Redhead married Elizabeth. He was born in Skerton, Lancs. I do have his DOB on record on my GEDCOM, but it didn't tally with GR so it's not displayed here. I think it's c1865. I don't know his parents' names.

He was a shipwright in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. (I assume he worked in the dockyard). Their children, all born in Barrow-in-Furness, were Mary(1891), Florence (1893), John (1896), Robert H (1898) and Edward (1900) - SOURCE 1901 Census

Florence Redhead went on to marry Herbert Richardson. He was born in London, but moved up to Barrow-in-Furness to work in the dockyard as a boiler maker. I assume he met Florence through her father.

Herbert and Florence married in Barrow-in-Furness Oct-Dec 1916, having one child (also called Florence), before relocating back to London and having three more daughters.

Unfortunately this is all the information I have on the Redheads, but perhaps something rings a bell with you? If not, then it was worth a try!

Thanks,

Eloise

Amanda

Amanda Report 16 Nov 2007 20:54

hi, your dates and names don't match with mine.

I hope you have luck in tracing your tree.
Thankyou for replying

Regards Amanda

Kay

Kay Report 13 Sep 2013 13:44

Hi- John is also my direct ancestor! I'm Kay Redhead from Wakefield- I'm 34 and current;y living in York. I'm from the first marriage to Elizabeth Winn. In fact my grandad had an older brother called Winn. If you want to know any more please get in touch. I'm interested in the life of the Redhead's at the farm in east butterwick, which I have visited.

Kay.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Sep 2013 13:55

Kay

This is another very old post to which you've added.............Amanda is unlikely to see your message.

Always check dates of last postings when digging up old threads

And giving personal info about yourself is inadvisable - these boards are not secure