Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

not sure there is a point in this site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 15 Jul 2010 04:43

I do have scottish ancestry, but more recent family is Queensland, Australian born. On entering this information containing birth sites in Queensland Australia I keep getting told of hot matches of births in Scotland! Scottish ancestors hot matches come up with hot matches in UK! What's the point in putting in information if its disregarded in search matches!

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 15 Jul 2010 06:11

I think we all know Hot matches are rarely right, but there is the rare chance match. Then you have to hope that the contact is still a member and will reply!

Gael

Gael Report 15 Jul 2010 07:36

Try using the search engine ['First Name' Last Name' one]up above then put in Australia or Scotland after it comes up. This will narrow the field down and you can message a person with a match.

Gael

Flick

Flick Report 15 Jul 2010 08:57

Complain to GR - only they are able to make amendments to the site.

Vicci

Vicci Report 15 Jul 2010 09:43

Scotland is in the UK

Corinne

Corinne Report 15 Jul 2010 12:16

As far as I am aware, the United Kingdom (UK) came about on 1st May 1707 when the, previously separate, kingdoms of England, Wales, and SCOTLAND became one under the Treaty of Union. Thus Scotland is in the UK!!

Anne

Anne Report 31 Jul 2013 13:42

Aware of this also. What I had wanted to make clear was that my ancestors birthplace I had noted as say Elgin Moray yet a hot match would come up with lots of people with the same name with their birthplaces being say Lancashire etc. I would have expected programmers in this day and age had skills enough to write search functions so that if you entered the fact your relation was born in Scotland a search would not bring up people with the same name born in Lancashire - or even other countries as happens frequently. I am not interested in a possible hit for my grandfather in Canada when I know he never set foot there.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Jul 2013 14:48

'Hot matches' have always been flawed...............use 'search all trees' to look for connections based on your own info

BUT.....as stated above, there is no point in complaining on this board...........send a message to GR support, and see what response you get

And there is more to GR than just 'hot matches'