Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Noreen Fennelly & Noreen Groarke

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gnomenutter

gnomenutter Report 6 Mar 2010 23:53

Hi all, just wondered if anyone has heard of these two ?
They used to work together & went out together in the early to middle 50's.They were known as big & little Noreen.

Little N married Dennis Pratley in 56.
Big N, married James Tuohy, not sure when.

They all used to live in Willesden & Middlesex area of London.

The last time i saw Big N, was at my grandads funeral back in 76.
I believe she has children, possibly called Maureen & Lorraine. Again i've tracked down Loraine, & i think possibly Maureen. Letters are in the post to them.

oops, I'm Little N's daughter Carol.

Big N was little N's aunt. I know this is a long shot, but it's worth a try.
Any info would be appreciated.
Carol.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Mar 2010 02:21

Carol, unfortunately no one has any idea who "these two" are.

You may have put names on a "surname line" above your post. All that does is send your post to a list for a particular surname. Unless one is already reading that list, one has no way of knowing what that surname is.

If you see this at the top of the Trying to Find board:

"To list the entire trying to find board again click here, "

click there. You'll see the complete board the rest of us are all reading. All we can see of the identity of the people you are looking for is "Big N was little N's aunt".

That's worse than a long shot, I fear. ;)

You can edit your subject line. Delete "longshot," and just put the names of the two people. You also need to edit the body of your post to add a couple of dates (birthdates; when last seen ...), some geographical info (a place name in the subject line would be wise too), and anything else that could help (parents' names, spouse's names, children's names ...).

Then, you never know!

gnomenutter

gnomenutter Report 7 Mar 2010 13:26

Thanks Janey,

Appreciate the help, hadn't quite looked at it like that.

Carol.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Mar 2010 20:17

There we go now!

I did a search in the index at Ancestry. Was "Big N" Noreen G Groarke born 1917 in Prescot, Lancashire? That's the only birth in that name. There's no marriage in that name. And no, that NG died in 1939 in Chorley.

Okay. Still confused. You said "They were known as big & little Noreen" and I assumed they were in the same order -- BigN=Fenelly and LittleN=Groarke. Nope.

Name: Noreen Fennelly (or Fenelly) + James Tuohy
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1949
Registration district: Willesden

They had 3 children, 1950-1962. But now it seems you have already figured out how to contact one and maybe two of them -- presumably you have their married surnames (at least for the one there seems to be a definite marriage for)? -- so there's not much point in asking for / offering help to locate them!

If your leads don't work out, you can add to this thread and somebody will be happy to give it a try.

I'm going to send you a bit of info from the indexes from 1982, privately.

Maureen

Maureen Report 9 Oct 2013 12:34

Hi Carol

Not sure if you will get this message as you posted yours in 2010...but I am Maureen Tuohy daughter of Noreen. Her husband James is on my birth certificate but he is not my father (I am mixed race) and I was placed in to care at 1 yrs of age. I did eventually get to meet my mum Noreen when I was 15 and she showed me photos of Lorraine and she was living in Kilburn alone. If you get this message and would like to contact me please send me a private message for more details.

Many thanks

Maureen :-)

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Maureen

Maureen Report 9 Oct 2013 13:20

Also I forgot to add that I am not sure where you would have sent a letter as I have moved since 2010 and now live in south london. Maureen

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Oct 2013 15:09

Maureen, if you haven't already done so, click on Carol's board name and send her a private message. If she still has the same email address GR will notify her.

Good Luck.

gnomenutter

gnomenutter Report 11 Oct 2013 15:02

Hi rootgatherer,

Thankyou

Carol x

gnomenutter

gnomenutter Report 11 Oct 2013 16:16

Hi Maureen,

Have sent you messages also, excited, lol, sorry