Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nicola Webb

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Feb 2003 18:06

I am the daughter of Barrington Liptrot, of Bolton. He had a brother called Howard. I have never met my father as my mother left him before I was even born-she then re-married into army life and I was only let in on this secret 2 weeks ago. If anyone knows of either a Barry or Howard liptrot please contact me. I have proof of my relationship as Barrington's daughter

Hazel

Hazel Report 31 Oct 2015 12:07

Hi Nicola,
I have just found this old post of yours. Did you ever find your father?
If not I have recently met someone who might have the answer for you. They live in Bolton and were talking about a Barrington Liptrot and his brother Howard.
Regards
Hazel

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Oct 2015 12:16

Hi, Hazel -

as you noticed, Nicola posted that many years ago. Even if she's still a member, she's not likely to be looking here for replies now.

You can try contacting her by a private message (click on her name at the top of her post), and if she still uses the email address registered with GR, she will receive notification that she has a message from you.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Oct 2015 12:27

PM sent to Hazel to advise her to follow advice above, and not to bother looking for and answering all Nicola's threads, as she said here:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/902032?jump=902032.

Hazel

Hazel Report 31 Oct 2015 12:37

Hello ArgyllGran,

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I found her message in a google search and actually paid a subscription fee to be able to post a message to her because I felt it was so important. I will do as you say and send her a private message.

Not sure how to use the site yet! How do I access the other 16 replies in the thread? I thought one of those might have let me know she had found him. I will be so upset if she hasn't found him and I have the answer she needs and I can't contact her.

You seem to be very good with the site. I may be asking for your help in the future. I'm on Ancestry but don't like it very much, this site seems much easier to use.

Once again thank you and take care

Hazel

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Oct 2015 12:51

Not sure what you mean, Hazel.
Do you mean Nicola has posted 16 times?

I've tried Googling for posts on GR and elsewhere, but can only find this thread.

The only way to try to contact her is by a private message.

Nobody on GR seems to have him in their tree - not even Nicola.
(Click "Search" at the top of this page, then "Search all members' trees" and put in his name - no results.)

Googling Howard Liptrot brings up lots of results - whether relevant or not, I couldn't say.
Googling Barrington Liptrot doesn't bring up anything likely, except for this thread of Nicola's.

EDIT:
But see later post - he's listed as Barry Liptrot.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Oct 2015 13:03

Aha!

Just found this:

http://petemarkiw.websitetoolbox.com/post/knowing-4590620

But no help to Nicola, unless she responds to your PM, Hazel.
She may, of course, have found site herself, and contacted him directly.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Oct 2015 13:10

On "All members' trees", if you enter Barry Liptrot, he has himself on (presumably) his own tree, and could be contacted by clicking on "Find out more" and sending a message.

He's also on Nicola's tree, with a different date of birth.
You could try to contact Nicola that way, but again, if she no longer has the same email address as that registered with GR, she won't get your message.

Also, Nicola could try to contact him that way herself, if only she notices it. Presumably she hasn't, or both trees would have the same year of birth..

Worth a try, though!

It's a pity Nicola put her own name as the title of her thread. If she'd put Barrington's name, he might have discovered that she was looking for him.

Hazel

Hazel Report 31 Oct 2015 17:33

Hi Connie,

You are a gem! You should charge a consultancy fee!

He is known to family and friends as Barry Liptrot but is now calling himself Alexander Liptrot. He did serve in the CSG and now lives mostly in France. My maths, from the things said in the conversation, put his DOB as beginning of March 1952.

The reason I was concerned is that when the person was talking about him they said he never married again and had no children. Highly unlikely that there are 2 Barrington Liptrots with a brother Howard living in Bolton. So I assumed she never managed to find him.

I managed to find his family tree, haven't messaged him as it seems pointless unless Nicola does it but how do I know which is her family tree, there are loads of Nicola Webbs on the site.

How do you get into the family trees? Do you need a platinum subscription. I am on a pension and could only afford the standard 6 months subscription to try and get in touch with Nicola. (I will have to share the dog's food for the next month, lol!!) I thought it might take longer than a month to get a reply.

It seems a lot cheaper on here than Ancestry and an easier site to use, so I'm hoping to be able to afford the annual platinum subscription and cancel my Ancestry (£118) when it comes up for renewal at the end of December, by which time they will have increased the cost again!

You seem to be a very caring person. I am seriously moved by all your help. Thank you. I would love a happy ending!

Take care

Hazel

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Oct 2015 21:18

Thanks for your kind words, Hazel. I'm just one of the many voluntary helpers on the boards, who do it for fun, and for the thrill of the chase - and because we're addicted.

You asked how to see trees.
On GR, you can't, unless the tree owner allows it.

Using Barrington Liptrot as an example, if you go to "Search" at the top of this page, then "Search all members' trees", and enter Barry Liptrot in the search boxes, you'll see that one of the results has Nicola as the tree owner. If you click on "Find out more" you can send her a message, explaining what your interest is, and asking to see her tree.
Then (if she receives your message) it's up to her whether or not she allows it. If so, you'll receive an email to tell you so.

As a fellow pensioner, I sympathise with you re the cost of subscriptions.
Genealogy isn't a cheap hobby.
Most of us on here have subs to Ancestry or Find My Past, for searching for records, rather than using GR for that, but we like the GR boards.(Find Ancestors, and Genealogy Chat.)

A couple of free websites for searching for records are FreeBMD, and FamilySearch.