Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have volume number and Volume page. What now.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Glynn

Glynn Report 31 Oct 2010 11:24

Hi,

I have just joined Genes Reunited and possibly found my farthers details. I have reached a page that shows "Volume number 7A" and "Volume page 269". It only shows "quarter of registration: - Oct - Nov - Dec" and not the actual birth date.

What do I do now?

His name was John Chamberlain, born 03-September-1926 in Leicester. Married "Una Elizabeth Davies" and moved to the "Rhodesia" shortly after the war.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Thanks and many regards

Glynn Chamberlain

patchem

patchem Report 31 Oct 2010 11:29

You will have to buy the certificate for the actual birth date.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Oct 2010 11:31

You use the GRO ref you have found to order his birth cert from
www.gro.gov.uk
cost £9.25

you have to register on the site ,free and tick the box that asks if the GRO ref is known . then all you need is his name and the GRO ref filled in where asked.
You cant view any certs online they have to be ordered.
Some parish marriage records are available to view for London marriages which does save buying them BUT birth and death certs have to be bought.

Edit: web site address amended

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 31 Oct 2010 11:49

Hi Glynn,

this maybe an outside chance for your fathers parents marriage, however to have a child 21 years after marriage is not impossible??

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1905 (>99%)
>>>>>>>>CHAMBERLAIN James Leicester 7a 370
HOWKINS Jeffrey Leicester 7a 370
>>>>>>>Pearson Nellie Leicester 7a 370
Pickering Annie Leicester 7a 370

Dee x

Glynn

Glynn Report 31 Oct 2010 12:00

Wow,

Thanks so much to you all. I am amazed at the responce.

Shirley, thanks for the www.gr.gov.uk link. I am heading over there now.

Dee, looking in the birth record, I see his mothers name as Pearson which you also picked up! I hope this leads me on the right path ;-)

Where did you find the marriage info?

This Geneology is very addictive.

Many thanks again.

Glynn

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 31 Oct 2010 12:04

Hi Glynn,

for births, deaths and marriage go to;

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

It's a free site and dates start from 1837 and are up to around 1930's... they are still adding more though.

Did your father have a sister Mabel born 1920?? If so her birth registration is also on there too.

Dee x

Glynn

Glynn Report 31 Oct 2010 12:11

Hi Dee,

I do not remember a Mabel, but definately Gene, or Jean, or something like that. Remember meeting her once when I was 15 something in 1978 when we payed a visit to relatives in the UK. We were living in Rhodesia.

My mom I fortunately have her birth certificate with her parents details on, problem is they married in Rhodesia (my mom and dad) and I doubt that record would be kept in the UK?

If you find anything, I would love to hear about it. Many thanks again for the help.

Kind regards

Glynn

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 31 Oct 2010 12:18

Glynn,

I wonder if Jean was her middle name??

Births Sep 1920 (>99%)
CHAMBERLAIN Mabel J Pearson Leicester 7a 450

Dee x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Oct 2010 12:19

Sorry Glynn my spell checker knocked off part of the Web address , have amended it

www.gro.gov.uk

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 31 Oct 2010 12:21

IF Mabel was your aunt then sadly this is her death, note her middle name though;

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005 about Mabel Jean Tiday
Name: Mabel Jean Tiday
Birth Date: 19 Aug 1920
Death Registration Month/Year: Oct 1989
Age at death (estimated): 69
Registration district: Leicestershire Central
Inferred County: Leicestershire
Volume: 6
Page: 2067

Dee x

Glynn

Glynn Report 31 Oct 2010 12:49

Hi again Shirly and Dee

Shirly, LOL, I was going to post here that the link did not seem to work, however, you beat me to it ;-) Thanks for posting the link again.

Dee, thanks so much. Amazing. You are in all liklyhood correct. I am amazed how you find all this. I have been running around the FreeBMD website and have possibly found the birth record for my Mom's Grand parents born in 1888!!!

Thanks to you both for all the help.

Keep well and many regards,

Glynn

Stuart

Stuart Report 2 Aug 2013 20:15

Glynn my name is Stuart Tiday and Mabel Jean Chamberlain is my mother married name Tiday she was the sister of John and from what I know he was born at 15 Bassett Street Leicester as was my mother

They had a brother my uncle who I think was called Don who was married to Beatrice. I believe I have a photo of you when you visited my mum in 1978 with your mum and brother plus my brother see if I can find it

I vaguly remember your father either before he emigrated to Rhodesia Or he came back for a visit in 1960 ish I know my mother cried a long time after your father was killed in a car accident in Rhodesia

My cousin Richard has a family tree of the pearsons so I will see if I can get hold of

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Aug 2013 20:20

Hi Stuart and welcome to the boards

As Glynn isn't a regular user of the boards, it might be best to send her/him a private message by clicking on the name.

If Glynn still has the same email address as they did in 2010, GR will notify them about it.

Good luck in your quest