Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ellen Hurley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gill

Gill Report 19 Sep 2007 21:28

I am trying to find relatives of my great grandmother Ellen Hurley, probably born 1860s/1870s. All I know about her is that she married my great grandfather Sidney Smith in East London - they had 7 children. Her brother was Alec Hurley the music hall singer (second husband of Marie Lloyd) and her mother was called Maria (c1837 - 1902).

I don't know her mother's maiden name or her father's first name and would love to find out. Also, it would be very interesting to find out if she had any other siblings and hear any other family details etc (and of course discover relatives I didn't know existed).

Gill Hudson (nee Smith)

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 19 Sep 2007 21:39

silly question how do you know maria died in 1902?

Linda

Linda Report 19 Sep 2007 21:42

Their marriage?

Marriages Dec 1901 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gray Ellen Matilda Brentford 3a 148
HURLEY Ellen Jane Brentford 3a 148
KING Herbert Charles Brentford 3a 148
SMITH Sydney Walter Brentford 3a 148

Linda

Linda Report 19 Sep 2007 21:46

If the above is correct, this could be her birth providing she was born in London. There's also someone of the same name born 1869 in Staffs.

Births Dec 1873 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HURLEY Ellen Jane London C. 1c 33

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 19 Sep 2007 21:49

two pos

HURLEY Ellen Jane Penkridge.6b 421 3 1869
HURLEY Ellen Jane London City.1c 33 4 1873

lindy lou you beat me to it

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 19 Sep 2007 21:51

if your 100% maria died in 1902 heres her death

HURLEY Maria 64 Fylde.8e 393 3 1902

its the only one in 1902 but the place dosen't make sence

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 19 Sep 2007 21:58

lindy lou i saw that one but gill said her mothers name was maria?

Matthew

Matthew Report 19 Sep 2007 21:59

How do you get so many replies so quick?

I never seem to get any replies at all.

Matthew Evans

Matthew

Matthew Report 19 Sep 2007 22:03

Mellie

how do people get some many replies so quick when I never get any replies at all.

Matthew

Linda

Linda Report 19 Sep 2007 22:04

Hi Mellie, I realised that soon after posting - sorry!

MellieMob

MellieMob Report 19 Sep 2007 22:06

matthew is your one john evans?

Linda

Linda Report 19 Sep 2007 22:06

Found this on the 1881, so it looks like the birth for London City wasn't the right one.

Name: Ellen J. Hurley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Relation: Daughter
Mother's Name: Sarah S.
Where born: London City of, London, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: St Andrew
County/Island: London

Street address: 8 Norwich Court
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: London City
Sub-registration district: St Bride
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ellen J. Hurley 7
Joseph Hurley
Sarah S. Hurley 25
Thomas B. Hurley 2

Matthew

Matthew Report 19 Sep 2007 22:09

Millie

Yes mine is John Evans but also Benjamin Gittins

Matthew

Peter

Peter Report 5 Oct 2007 10:38

Hello Gill,

Your Gt-Grandmother Ellen also had at least one other brother, Alfred Lewis Hurley (b.1864), and he married my Gt-Aunt Henrietta Vince 15th October 1895. Ellen's mother Maria E. Turpin married John Daniel Early in 1854 (they changed their name to Hurley after Alec's success), and she was living with Alfred & Henrietta when she died on the 27th September 1902 - Stepney - London.
I too would like to trace any other living Hurleys who might have some family photographs.

Best wishes,
Peter Vince

Gill

Gill Report 3 May 2010 09:38

Hi

I'd like to say many thanks to everyone who helped to point me in the right direction in my search for relatives of the Hurley family.

I'd been looking for the last 3 years but have recently traced 3 cousins who I never knew about before and we're now in touch via phone and email and we're hoping to arrange to meet up in the near future.

Once again, many thanks for all your help.

Gill

Julia

Julia Report 29 Jan 2014 14:14

Hi Gill & Peter

I am the great great granddaughter of Albert & Henrietta Hurley. My Grandma was their daughter Violet Hurley and her daughter Irene is my mother Irene. I have been doing my family tree in Ancestry.co.uk under my current family name of Bywaters. I have been stuck for ages on who Maria's maiden name was but finally thanks to you Peter I have found it. Thank you so much!!

I would be happy to share photos and memories and meet relatives. Please contact me. My mum would love this too..

Kind regards

Julia Bywaters nee Brazier :-D

Potty

Potty Report 29 Jan 2014 14:42

Welcome to the boards, Julia.

This is a very old thread and Gill and Peter may not be still watching it. If you click on their names, you can send them a personal message and if they still have the same email address, GR will advise them of it. Also, for your own protection, you should remove your own email address, against GR's T&Cs and might result in your thread being deleted.