Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Ruse convict

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb

Deb Report 3 Jan 2011 05:27

does any one know the names and birth years of the Ruse children. James and Elizabeth raised 7 children, 2 of them adopted. James was on the Scarboured 1788 and married Elizabeth Perry 1790, both were convicts sent to Australia. I have discovered that I am a decendant of Ann Ruse daughter (most likely adopted) of James and Elizabeth. I know there was Mary, James and Rebecca. I am hoping some one might be able to help me with the others.

cheers Deb

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 3 Jan 2011 07:37

Hi Deb.

N.S.W bdm's on-line.
Can only see one other ( Elizabeth RUSE 1794 )

Marriage NSW 1790
V179092 3A/1790 RUSE JAMES spouse: PERRY ELIZABETH CB

Childrens births registered in NSW

V1791141 1A/1791 RUSE REBECCA/REBECAH Fath: JAMES Moth: ELIZABETH
V1793257 1A/1793 RUSE JAMES Fath: JAMES Moth: ELIZABETH
V1794402 1A/1794 RUSE ELIZABETH Fath: JAMES Moth: ELIZABETH
V1798767 1A/1798 RUSE MARY Fath: JAMES Moth: ELIZABETH

Other information in case you dont have it?

Seen here as James RUCE on the first fleet of convicts to Australia

1st Fleet:
RUCE James, Bodmin ( Cornwall ) - - - - - - - - - - - 7years

New South Wales Colonial secretary papers "Archives"...about James RUSE

RUSE, James. Per "Scarborough", 1788; settler at Parramatta then Hawkesbury; first ex-convict to seek a grant and take up agriculture

1792 Feb 22-1797 Jun 1
On list of all grants & leases of land registered in the Colonial Secretary's Office

1809 Aug
District Constable. Received rations from the Hawkesbury Stores

1810 Jan
Memorial

1811 Feb 12,15
Purchased goods at an auction by John Howe at Windsor; sold for executors to the estate of the late Andrew Thompson

1816 Jan 16
On list of persons to receive grants of land in 1816

1816 Jun 22
On lists of persons to be issued with horned cattle from the Govt Herds

1816 Jul 20
On return of horned cattle issued from the Govt Herds between 8 May 1814 & 9 Jan 1819

1816 Nov 16
Of the Hawkesbury. On list of persons who came as convicts and who claimed they were free at the last General Muster, without supporting documentation

1818 Jan 24
On list of persons for whom land grants ready for delivery

1818 Dec 3
Signature in recommendation of Daniel Reed's petition

1819 Apr 30
On return of persons indebted to Govt for cattle issued from the Govt Herds, to be paid for in cash or grain; listed as Ruce

1821 Mar 5
On list of persons for whom grants of land have been handed over to the Surveyor General for delivery, with amount of fees to be charged

1821 Mar 24
Store receipts of for wheat

1822 Feb 25-Mar 27
John Crooke convicted by Court of Criminal Jurisdiction of breaking and entering into Ruse's house

1828 Census of NSW.

HOUSEHOLD of James RUSE

RUSE....James
Age 68
Ship Arrival: SCARBOROUGH
Year: 1788
Sentence: 7 years
Free/Bond: Free
Religion: Protestant
To Others: Captain BROOKS ( Richard )
Place: Lower Minto

RUSE....Elizabeth
Age 57
Ship Arrival: Lady Juliana
Year: 1790
Free/Bond: Free
To Others: Captain BROOKS ( Richard )

PERRY....Elizabeth
Age 57
Ship Arrival: Lady Juliana
Year: 1790
Free/Bond: Free by servitude
To Others: Lives with James ROUSE ( most likely RUSE )

REED....Thomas
Age 9
Born in Colony
Year:
Sentence:
Free/Bond:
To Others: Lives with James RUSE
Remarks: Son of Elizabeth PERRY

Tony ( Australia )

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Jan 2011 10:49

wow Tony!!! that is some info!!!!

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 3 Jan 2011 13:02

Hi AOGG.

My grandchildrens 6x great grandparents also were on the 1st Fleet.
Nathaniel was also on the "Scarborough" the same time as James RUSE

LUCAS Nathaniel, London - - - - - - - - - - 7 years
Arrived on the "Scarborough" in May 1788
GASCOYGNE Olive, Worcester - - - - - - - 7 years
She was on the "Lady Penrhyn" with the First Fleet in 1788

They Married on Norfolk Isand.

The RUSE children to James and Elizabeth were recorded in the parish of Parramatta, St John's, Church of England, and there could be more children listed in the Church registers, but not indexed on NSW bdm's.

Mary 1798 was recorded in Sydney, St Phillip's, Church of England.

The ship " Lady Juliana" that Elizabeth PERRY arrived on is a well documented peice of Australian history.
It was the first all female convict ship sent from England.
A classic movie documentry here in Oz.
Sailed 29/7/1789 from Plymouth in 309 days.
Embarked 206 females...Arrived 3 June 1790.

The foundling mothers of this Country.

A nice peice of Colonial Australian Family History for Deb.

More info here. "Australian Dictionary of Biography."
Ruse, James (1760 - 1837)

http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A020360b.htm

James RUSE From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ruse

Ruse's gravestone, parts of which he carved himself, reads:

"Sacred to the memory of James Ruse who departed this life September 5 in the year of Houre Lord 1837.
Natef of Cornwell and arrived in this colony by the First Fleet, aged 77.
My mother reread thy tenderly
With me she took much pain
And when I arrived in this colony I sowed the first grains
And now with my heavenly father I hope for ever to remain."

A replica of this tombstone stands in the front garden of Barrengarry House, the administration block at James Ruse Agricultural High School. The memory of James Ruse is perpetuated in the naming of key locations in Sydney, including the Agricultural High School, in Carlingford; James Ruse Drive, running from Silverwater to Northmead, near Parramatta; and Ruse, a suburb in southwest Sydney.

In 1980 the noted Cornish folk singer Brenda Wootton, wrote and recorded the song "James Ruse" which uses as the chorus the last four lines of the tombstone inscription.

Time-line for James Ruse
(courtesy National Trust of Australia 'The Thief, the Farmer & the Surgeon)
http://www.campbelltown.nsw.gov.au/default.asp?iSubCatID=2025&iNavCatID=1407

1759 August 9th James Ruse born in Cornwall, England

1780 Works as a farm hand

1782 Charged with Burglary of 2 silver watches

Sentenced to 7 years imprisonment

1788 Ruse transported with First Fleet to Botany Bay

Governor Philip establishes a settlement at Sydney Cove

Attempts to grow food at Sydney Cove fail

1788 April Governor Philip travels up the Parramatta River 13 ½ miles to find arable land

1788 November Settlement established at Rouse Hill, land cleared and cultivated to make the Government farm

Ruse working on Government farm

1789 November 21st Ruse given 1 ½ acre land grant, seeds, tools, 6 chickens, and 2 pigs in order to grow own food and become self sufficient

1789 December First successful harvest of Government farm

1790 May Ruse sows some wheat

1790 June Elizabeth Parry arrives with the Second Fleet on the Lady Julian and goes to work on Government farm

Ruse advises Philip that if one more acre were cleared for him he would be able to support himself

1790 September Ruse marries Elizabeth Parry (1791 – c.1801 Parry & Ruse have 6 children)

Ruse loses convict help

1790 May 1 ½ acres wheat, ½ acre maize and a small kitchen garden

1791 February 25th Ruse declares that he is self-sufficient, declines further help from

Government store

1791 March Ruse granted a further 30 acres and has a brick house built

1792 July 16th Elizabeth Ruse first female convict to be emancipated

Ruse has 11 ½ acres cultivated and has several more cleared by convicts in their leisure hours on condition they receive first crops

Has 4 breeding sows and 30 fowls

1792 December Elizabeth no longer on Government stores

1793 October Ruse disappointed with failure of crop

Sells farm to Surgeon Harris
The property is now the Experiment Farm Cottage museum of the National Trust of Australia

Ruse moves out to the Hawkesbury River to farm with fellow convict and farmer, Charles Williams

1837 September 5th James Ruse dies

Ruse applied to Governor Phillip for a land grant, stating that he had been bred to farming. Governor Phillip, desperate to make the colony self-sufficient, allocated Ruse an allotment at Rose Hill (Parramatta), where he proved himself industrious and showed that it was possible for a family to survive through farming. Having done this, Ruse received a grant of 30 acres (Grant No 1) and by 1793 was able to sell 600 bushels of maize. He later exchanged this grant for more fertile land on the Hawkesbury. Ruse never built on his initial success.

My suggestion would be to contact the Parramatta Historical Society or the NSW National Archives as it appears there is quite a lot of information regarding James and Elizabeth RUSE and possibly references to all his/their children.

According to Australian Colonial History he was the father and pioneer of Agricultral farming in Australia.

Tony

Deb

Deb Report 4 Jan 2011 04:25

A big thank you Tony. My head is reeling.
greatly appreciated
cheers Deb

Deb

Deb Report 4 Jan 2011 04:50

Thanks again Tony.

Just a bit of trivia Thomas Reed was the son of Ann Reed (nee Ruse) and Daniel Reed. I have Thomas born 1820 so what sensus was he listed? Could the sensus be 1829/30

Ann went on to having 3 different relationships and Daniel Reed was the only one we believed she married. Daniel reoffended so Ann left Thomas with James and Elizabeth Ruse. She put 2 daughters in an orphanage and1 daughter she left with her sister Mary Kennedy nee Ruse (formerly Crooks).

Ann then met John Hartshorn (senior) and had 3 daughters and a son she named John Hartshorn (junior). I am a decendant of Ann and John. The year John (junior) was born John (senior) died.

Ann met up with Thomas Payne and had 2 sons then 1 daughter.

Ann and Thomas Payne moved to Tumut with John Hartshorn as a baby. John was also known as Jack Payne.

cheers Deb

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 4 Jan 2011 05:53

Hi Deb.

Your welcome.

My apologise, as this NSW census should read 1828 and a typo error by me ( 1821 )...oops!!

I have corrected it.

The ages given on the Census would be appox.

A great piece of Family History memorabilia re ( James RUSE ) and Elizabeth.

It was ironic that my Nathaniel Lucas was on the "Scarborough" along with James Ruse.
Wonder if they had spoken?

My Nathaniel Lucas and Olivia Gascoigne were put on Norfolk Island. Married 5th Nov 1791. Here they had 13 children, the last two born in Sydney.

Best wishes

Tony...:>))

Deb

Deb Report 4 Jan 2011 09:52

Thanks again Tony.

Maybe Nathaniel and James did speak. haha Pleased the sensus makes sense

cheers Deb

Paula-Ann

Paula-Ann Report 14 Nov 2013 08:05

Hi Deb,

I'm very interested to know more about your Ann Ruse and the other children she had to Thomas Payne, the 2 sons and a daughter and how you came across these...

I have a link to Anne Ruse via her daughter Rebecca Pate (nee Hartshorn). Rebecca was a witness to my great x2 grandmother, Mary Ann Thomas' wedding to George Bolin in 1858 in Sydney. Rebecca and Robert had a daughter in 1859 which they named Mary Ann. They moved to Brisbane in 1860 with Mary Ann and George Bolin visiting them in 1861 having a son while there, Moreton Foulger Bolin.

Our Mary Ann Thomas according to her death cert was apparently born in NSW in c1836 but we cannot find a birth for her. Her parents on her death cert state John Brown and Ann but she married as a spinster with the surname Thomas to George Bolin and unfortunately no parents were listed but a Richard Brown was the other witness to the wedding along with Rebecca Pate.

It has been suggested that Rebecca and Mary Ann could be related and that Ann could very well be Ann Ruse, considering her having children to convicts...

Hoping you still visit here...

Paula

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 14 Nov 2013 09:03

Hi Paula

If you click on Deb's name........you can send her private message.

Susan

Susan Report 30 Mar 2015 07:13

My great, great, Grandmother was JANE PAYNE and her mother was ANN KISS or RUSE. (Those researching Ann believe she was adopted by James Ruse and his wife, Elizabeth. Ann was the daughter of James Kiss also a convict & unknown mother. ANN KISS appeared on the census of 1825 under the name of her father James Kiss and above her brother William Kiss. She was born in the colony. Muster notes add: wife of D Reid, Evan see Ann Reid in 1825 at Sydney, NSW, Australia.)

This would make ANN the adopted sister of SUSANNAH RUSE.
MARRIAGE RECORD: Name: Susannah Ruse Spouse Name: Patrick Harrigaddy Marriage Date: 1810 Marriage Place: New South Wales Registration Place: Parramatta, New South Wales Registration Year: 1810 Volume Number: V A

On my gr gr Grandmother JANE’s Marriage Certificate (3 Feb 1859 in Tumut, NSW) her mother is named as ANN HADEGADDY which has always confused ANN’s researchers. When searching for the name Hadegaddy the connection to Patrick Harrigan or Harrigaddy occurs.

Why would ANN be using the name, HADEGADDY, in 1859? We do not know. Had her relationship with Payne ended and now with another man of this name?

On 7 Birth Records for JANE’s children she names herself as JANE and the other 7 she names herself as JANE REID, READ or REED not Payne! Jane’s mother ANN’s first husband was Daniel Reid. (Name: Daniel Reed Spouse Name: Ann Ruse Marriage Date: 1819). Jane may have used the Reid maiden name as this was her mother’s only legal marriage although she had other relationships and children with John Hartshorn and Thomas or John Payne.

On JANE’s Death Certificate (13 Aug 1900) her mother is listed as ANN KISS. Father is John Payne? Jane’s brother, George Payne, 1839 birth record - Name: George Payne Birth Date: 1839 Father's Name: Thomas Payne Mother's Name: Ann Kiss.
No Birth record is found for Jane. Birth year 1843 estimated from her Marriage at 16yrs of age.

Regards Sue