Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marilyn Bedworth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 24 Feb 2003 10:04

Hart Gladys. My Grandmother was Gladys Hart born approximately 1880/90. I understand she lived in Portsmouth with her family who were bakers. She had a couple of sisters and at least one brother. She got pregnant when she was in her 30s with my mother. She was banished to Maidenhead to have her baby and eventually married and stayed in Maidenhead with her husband, but my mother was fostered with a family in Reading. My mother's name is Phyllis Nancy Thomas (nee Hart) and she was born on the 30th October 1922. She is still fit and well. When I was a child I did not know the lady I called Aunty Gladys was my grandmother. Although I knew my mother's maiden name was not the same as her foster family (Standing) it was not until Gladys (married name Smith) was about to die (around 1970) that I was told about my true relationship. The Hart family was never discussed, all I know is that the name of my grandfather was never revealed to my mother. I still do not know if I have any family. My mother does not know I have registered this enquiry so any contact will initially have to be discreet.