Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Guinane

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 11 Feb 2007 23:46

Hi I am trying to find any information on Guinane's in Accrington Lancashire. Patrick Guinane bc 1846 Wife Bridget Guinane maiden name unkown bc 1850 both died in Accrington both Born in Ireland may have been Nenagh county Tipp children all born in Ireland ...may have been Nenagh Bridget Guinane Married Charles Flynn in Accrington died Accrington Kate Guinane married Ehpriam Mayes in Accrington died Accrington Dan Guinane married Barbara Ferguson in Accrington John Guinane nothing known would love to know maiden name of Bridget senior and location of birth for all. Any other information that may help me in my search. there's a few of us 'Accrington Flynn's' all trying to get this info ...I want to be the one to tell the rest !! I know there isnt much to go on

Peter

Peter Report 21 Jul 2008 02:03

I have further in formation on the guinanes that I am researching.
Bridget senior maiden name was Ryan and had previously been married to a Mr Hennessey.
I hove found transcribed records of the birth/Christnings of Daniel Guinane and John Guinane showing their address at the time being Ballinaclough near Nenagh in Tipperary also on some of the other records there in mention of Silvermines also close to Nenagh and Muklin Ihavent got a clue were Muklin is !!
They lived In Charter Street , Wellington street and Grange street all in Accrington.
Bridget senior also had a daughter called Ellen Hennessey who married in to the Riley family also in Accrington.
Any info wellcome
thanks
Pete Flynn

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Jul 2008 03:26

Re John Guinane -- it's a fairly unusual name, one would think.

One John Joseph and one J are recorded in WWI military casualties:

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp

GUINANE, J Private 24972
06/09/1916 (age) Unknown
Royal Dublin Fusiliers
United Kingdom
XXIX. K. 9. DELVILLE WOOD CEMETERY, LONGUEVAL

GUINANE, JOHN JOSEPH Private 3522
23/02/1916 (age) 32
Royal Munster Fusiliers
United Kingdom 30435. LIMERICK (ST. LAWRENCE'S) CATHOLIC CEMETERY

This is your John in 1901:

Name: John Guinane
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Patk
Mother's Name: Bridget
Where born: Ireland

Civil Parish: Accrington
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
County/Island: Lancashire

which would make him abt 34 in 1916.

Peter

Peter Report 27 Mar 2010 23:40

I have now seen the 1911 UK census , it show Bridget senior as saying the she had 4 children for the present marriage and show that only three were still living. I found three of them in the 1911 census Dan living in Accrington with his wife Barbara , Catherine ling with her and her husband Ehpriam Mayes in Accrington and Bridget liveing with her Husband charles Flynn in Accrington no sign of John ....I have not been able to find Johns death or any other information regard him.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Mar 2010 00:41

You're welcome.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 Mar 2010 02:22

The possibility I considered was a death in the Anglo-Boer War. His name is not in the Imperial Yeomanry lists, but I searched Kevin Asplin's site for the surname and found:

http://www.britishmedals.us/files/armydeathgh.htm
Army Death Indexes 1901-1905
Guinane John 21 Poona 1904 184

This seems like a possibility.

http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/adi.html

quote:

Army Death Indexes 1901-1905

This is the index of the Deaths recorded by the British Army in this period, they relate to a series of Death Certificates available through the ONS (familiar to any Genealogist) and are orderable through that organization. They cover deaths in India, Ceylon, South Africa, Burma, Egypt and a dozen more locations around the Empire which occurred outside of war periods (it does not cover the Boer War deaths).

The index covers both soldiers, soldiers wives and children.
The format is Surname, Christian name, Location of Registration of Death, Year of Death and Page of Entry.

Peter

Peter Report 13 Jun 2011 23:21

I checked this out although the name matches and the death would fall within the time frame the place ofd birth for John is not the same...
still looking :-(

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jun 2011 23:26

So what was the place of birth that you found for John?
Thanks

Peter

Peter Report 2 Jun 2014 00:21

you were correct john guinane joined the Loyal north lancs in 1901 transfered to the East lancs,in 1903 killed or died in poona in 1904, Thank you very much for your help and guidance.

If any one finds any other infor that would be very welcome

Regards #
Pete