Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Gillespie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RestlessNative

RestlessNative Report 22 Mar 2003 13:31

Trying to find details of any Gillespies in Bellshill, Clelland, Motherwel or Lanarkshire areas and also possible connections to Rothesay, Isle of Bute. Also a professor of music and/or opera singer related to my Grandmother Mrs Jemima Grant (born as Gillespie but raised as Wilson - or vice versa - by her Grandmother) whose professional/stage name(s) may have been McPherson Elliot and/or Don Alberto. This may have been the same person or two different but closely related men. Her mother Margaret-Ann(e) Wilson divorced her father when she was very young leading to Jemima being brought up by her Grandmother. I remember my Gran (known as Mina) her having an Aunt Polly in Bellshill. I remember visiting Aunt Polly sometime before she died in 1970s. My Grandmother is also believed to have had relations from Northern Ireland or Eire by the name of Brittan connected to farming, from Somerset & Isle of Bute - both sets of these relations connected with owning guest houses/hotels.