Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fletcher and Compton Families

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robin

Robin Report 30 Aug 2009 14:07

My G/G/Grandmother Elizabeth Fletcher, nee Compton Born 1810 Died 1890, was a businesswoman on Gloucester carrying on her late husband's gun maker workshop.
Elizabeth's obituary refers to the fact that she had in her possession the William Shakespeare jug and cane. Elizabeth was allegedly related to Joan Hart, William Shakespeare's sister.
Can anyone please help throw any light on this as I am at a deadend.
Thanks, Rob. Seaton.

David

David Report 20 Jan 2015 18:03

Hi Robin, I know this reply is a long time after your post, but have only just found it. I have been researching my husband's family tree on his Mother's side and found that Elizabeth Compton was also his 2nd great grandmother. Her daughter, Martha Fletcher, married Henry Arkell and their youngest son, Frederick, was my husband's grand father. We have in our possession 2 or 3 letters written by both Elizabeth and her husband circa 1847 referring to Elizabeth's visits to auctions where she was bidding to regain the jug and cane which she felt was her rightful property. We also have a couple of articles relating to these plus a photo. I realise by now you might have solved your deadend, but hope this info may still be of use to you. If you want any more details please let me know. Thanks Carolyn Docwra

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jan 2015 18:51

you've noticed this is an old posting - you could try and make contact directly with Robin via GR by clicking on his name to send a message through the site

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Jan 2015 18:57

?????????

Name: Elizabeth Fletcher
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1871
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Birthplace: Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
Schedule Type: Household
Registration District: Gloucester
Sub-District: St John The Baptist
Parish: St Mary De Crypt
County: Gloucestershire

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Elizabeth Fletcher Self F 60 Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
William Fletcher Son M 33 Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Martha Fletcher Daughter F 27 Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Mary A Fletcher Daughter F 25 Gloucester, Gloucestershire
George Fletcher Son M 22 Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Jane Fletcher Daughter F 20 Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Emily Underwood Servant F 16 Gloucester, Gloucestershire

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 22 Jan 2015 19:58

Looks like the jug and cane were sold after Elizabeth's death as reported in 1893 in the New York Times :

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/15/opinion/15iht-edold_25.html

1893:Shakespeare's Jug : IN OUR PAGES: 100, 75 AND 50 YEARS AGO
Published: June 15, 1993

LONDON - Relics of the greatest of dramatists were on sale at Christie's yesterday [June 14]. One was Shakespeare's jug of cream-colored earthenware. It was divided longitudinally into eight compartments, each horizontally subdivided, and within, principal deities of heathen mythology were represented in bold relief. Early this century a small medallion inscribed "William Shakespeare at the age of forty" was added. Accompanying the jug was a Malacca cane, in beautiful preservation. These articles, bequeathed by Shakespeare to his sister, Joan, remained in her family till the beginning of the century. They were sold for 155 guineas.