Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Errington

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 24 Mar 2003 19:35

Kathleen Hodgson 24/03/03 I am trying to find any descendants of the Errington family. Who lived in and around Whickham, Swalwell Tyne & Wear My grandfather was Thomas Errington. Roger, William, & Thomas seemed to have been popular christian names

Marion

Marion Report 5 Jul 2009 20:34

Kathleen.
My Grandmother was Millicent Errington, born in Newcastle around 1892-1893. She married Duncan Caddie Warwick in 1915. Her father was John Errington, Her mothers name [ I think ] was Ethel Rawlings. Do these names and dates fit in your family tree ??.

I would love to hear from you ,as I have just started to put my family tree together, but have limited info. at the moment.

Regards Marion

Marion

Marion Report 6 Aug 2015 00:17

Hi kathleen

i saw your post on this site, I did send a reply you were searching for any Erringtons.
My Grandmother was Millicent Errington b 1892 her
father was John, Mother name Rachael. from Sunderland and Newcastle. I too am searching my family tree with Erringtons on my Fathers side

I will be interested to hear from you
Regards Marion

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Aug 2015 00:57

Marion it is doubtful that Kathleen ever saw your message here ... she posted hers in 2003 (and only ever made 3 posts). Unless she was looking for replies 6 years later ... !

No notice is sent of replies here. You can try to reach her by sending a private message, but she will only receive a notice of that if her email address in her account is current here.

Click on her name to send a message. You can tell whether she has read it by checking your 'sent messages' to see whether it still has an envelope beside it.

Meanwhile have you searched trees here for others with your Erringtons in their trees? there are two other people besides you with Millicent 1892.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Aug 2015 01:22

While we're here, Marion :-)

your Milicent's marriage record got rather messed up!

Marriages Dec 1915
Warwick Duncan C Errington Newcastle T. 10b 456
Warwick Millicent Errington Newcastle T. 10b 456

it says both she and Duncan were Warwicks who married Erringtons (the original image does say that)

and there is no record of her birth ... but I suspect this was she, being a modern young woman who adjusted her name when she married (it was not uncommon in the early 1900s - edit - and Millicent was probably fashionable, my snooty grandfather named his daughter that in 1920)

Births Mar 1893
Errington Minnie Newcastle T. 10b 1

1901 census

Name: Minnie Errington
Estimated birth year: abt 1893
> Father: John Errington
> Mother: Rachel Errington
Birth Place: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Civil Parish: Elswick
County/Island: Northumberland

John Errington 51
Rachel Errington 45
Esther Errington 22
Edith Errington 19
Fred Errington 17
Annie Errington 14
Frank Errington 12
Minnie Errington 8

1911 census

Name: Minnie Errington
Age in 1911: 18
Estimated birth year: abt 1893
Relation to Head: Visitor
Birth Place: Sunderland, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Elswick
County/Island: Northumberland
Street address: 64 Armstrong Road
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: Newcastle upon Tyne

George Kletchner 36 (he is crossed out) (occupation 'seagoing' so not at home?)
Ethel Kletchner 32 (married two years ... or perhaps not ...)
Freda Kletchner 1
John Errington 61 boarder
Frank Errington 22 boarder
Minnie Errington 18 visitor

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Aug 2015 01:32

I think 'Ethel Kletchner' in the 1911 census was Esther Errington, and this is her remarrying:

Marriages Sep 1923
Kennedy John J Kletchner Newcastle T. 10b 294
Kletchner Esther Kennedy Newcastle T. 10b 294

and unfortunately her daughter's birth and death

Births Jun 1910
KLETCHNER Edith Freda Newcastle T 10b 2
Deaths Sep 1928
Kletchner Edith F 18 Castle W. 10b 341

there are Kennedy-Errington births in Newcastle in 1916, 1918 and 1921

three people have Minnie Errington in their trees

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/errington/minnie?memberkey=0&yearofbirth=1893

interestingly, one of them also has an Esther Errington 1886 born in Australia - perhaps you have farflung distant cousins!

Marion

Marion Report 7 Aug 2015 00:26

Joonie

Thank you for responding to my thread. It was just a stab in the dark, as I was reading the messages I have sent to people.
I started working on my family tree back in 2009 but then due to a house move and ill health everything was put on hold until a few months ago when I stated researching again. I am grateful for your help.

Thank you
Marion

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Aug 2015 16:50

If you have access to Ancestry (I use hubby's site) there's a guy called Roger/Ralph Errington who has done an Errington one-name study and he gave me a lot of info on Thomas Errington, my 3x gt grandfather and his ancestors - Durham and Northumberland.

Marion

Marion Report 7 Aug 2015 22:26

I don't have a membership with Ancestory, I will look to see if I can find Roger/Ralph Errington on Genes reunited . Have you got his d.o.b and do you know where he was born ? And any other clues would be helpfully.
Don't suppose you have his email

Thank you for your reply.
Regards Marion

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 7 Aug 2015 23:11

I've been researching an unrelated Errington and was in touch with Roger a few months back. He was very helpful and knowledgeable about Erringtons in the area.

I have his contact details and will send him a link to this thread.

Roger

Roger Report 8 Aug 2015 19:33

Hi Marion (and thanks to Marie for alerting me).
I'm on both Ancestry and GenesR but your little line is something of a mystery, and I've not so far managed to link you in with my branch, even though direct cousins of my ancestor were in Hylton, Sunderland at the same time!
Your great-grandfather John (who married Rachel Rawlings) was born in South Hylton in Jun 1850, 2nd son of John (another shipwright) and Jane Elliott. The older John was born in North Hylton around 1814 but so far his baptism has proved elusive. The only way I can see to get yourself further back is to order a certificate of the marriage of John and Jane Elliott (whom I suspect was a widow) in Sep 1844 in Sunderland. That should at least tell you his father, unless he proves to be illegitimate. I hope that's some help!
Regards, Roger
ERRINGTON One Name Study

Marion

Marion Report 9 Aug 2015 13:48

Roger.
Thank you for your reply to my Search of the Errington Familly

It has been quite testing as I stared my search with only the names of my Grandparents Duncan Caddy Warwick and Millicent Errington married 1915 who I have since found out is named as Minnie in some documents, I don't have any relatives on this side of the Family who would have family dates and names etc.I am also a complete beginner with genealogy.
I will get a copy of John and Janes marriage certificate, to see if that helps in my search.

Thank you again you have been very helpfully. I would be interested if you have any more information.

Regards Marion

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 9 Aug 2015 15:53

Hi Marion,

you need to use the 'Edit' link at the top of your message to remove your email address from your message.

These messages can be seen by everybody and their dog on the internet and there is no need to expose your email account to spam etc.

You can communicate privately by clicking on another member's name and sending a private message, and send your email address that way :-)