Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EDWARD DUFFY/Born; Salford 1880

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

fish4

fish4 Report 3 Dec 2010 16:17

Edward was my grandfathers brother. At some point?, he left his wife and two daughters in Salford, and disappeared.
Edward was born abt 1880.
Mothers name Mary (nee) Renshaw.
Fathers name, ? Mardi/y.
During Edwards life, he lived in both Salford and Manchester.
He is quiet an illusive character, and tracking him has given very little.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Dec 2010 16:26

1881 census ?
Name: Edward Duffy
Relation: Son
Father's name: Charles Duffy
Mother's name: Mary Duffy
Where born: Salford, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Salford
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address: 4 Albert Place
Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Salford
Sub-registration district: Greengate
ED, institution, or vessel: 14
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Duffy 25 occ labourer
Mary Duffy 24
John Duffy 5
Mary Ann Duffy 3
Edward Duffy 8months

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3959; Folio: 78; Page: 36; GSU roll: 1341945.

Astra

Astra Report 3 Dec 2010 16:27

When and who did he marry and at what point did he leave her?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Dec 2010 16:28

1901 census
Name: Edward Duffy
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Relation: Boarder
Where born: Salford, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Manchester
Ecclesiastical parish: St Matthew
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address:57 Gillon street

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Manchester
Sub-registration district: Central
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 91
Household Members: Name Age
William Hurst 27
Mary T Hurst 24
Edward Hurst 2
Jesse Hurst 6
Edward Duffy 20

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3746; Folio: 118; Page: 18

Astra

Astra Report 3 Dec 2010 16:31

Is this the marriage you are referring to? If these were the parents where does the name Duffy come from?

Marriages Sep 1875 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALLAN Jane Manchester 8d 719
>>MARDY John Manchester 8d 719
>>RENSHAW Mary Manchester 8d 719
Scanlan Michael Manchester 8d 719

Astra

Astra Report 3 Dec 2010 16:50

There is a military record for Edward Mardy born 1881 Salford??
Is this him or was his name definitely Duffy?
From this record it seems he Married Mary Alice Worthington in 1902 and had children Robert, Edward, Charles Ellis and Leah?
Is this a different person?

Astra

Astra Report 3 Dec 2010 16:57

No I think it is right. Here is the family in 1911

MARDY, Edward Head Married M 30 1881 Carter General Salford VIEW
MARDY, Mary Alice Wife Married
9 years F 27 1884 Printers Feeder Manchester VIEW
MARDY, Robert Son Single M 3 1908 Manchester VIEW
MARDY, Edward Son Single M 2 1909 Manchester VIEW
DUFFY, Thomas Brother Single M 22 1889 Carter General Manchester VIEW

Address:
25 Lr Moss Lane

Astra

Astra Report 3 Dec 2010 17:00

Thomas Duffy was his brother so is this your relative. It looks as though Mary may have re-married to a Duffy later on.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Dec 2010 17:26

Looks like the birth of John Mardy:

Births Jun 1852
Mardy John Joseph Liverpool 8b 153

But I can't see any other record of him apart from that marriage!

I'd be wanting that Mardy-Renshaw marriage certificate to see what it says.

Possibly a pre-marriage birth to that marriage:

Births Dec 1873
Mardy John Salford 8d 59

-- the John Duffy aged 5 in the 1881?

Name: John Mardy
Death Registration Month/Year: 1924
Age at death (estimated): 49
Registration district: Salford
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8d
Page: 153

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Dec 2010 17:35

Name: Edward Mardy
Death Registration Month/Year: 1962
Age at death (estimated): 81 = dob c1881
Registration district: Manchester
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 10e
Page: 388

fish4

fish4 Report 3 Dec 2010 17:42

Wow!!!!.
The name Duffy comes frome from Edwards mothers second marriage to my g/grandfather Charles Duffy/Edwards stepfather. Mary/Edwards mother took three children into the marriage, Edward was the youngest. Edward and his siblings assumed the name Duffy.
Astra, the military one,looks to be Edward also.Given his age, he should have served in WW1, like his brother Thomas. I know he had two daughters to Mary, the girls were institutionalised at some point, possibly in Prestwhich Asylum for the insane.
John Mardy and Mary Renshaw were Edwards parents.

You are absolutely spot on with your last post, and it tells me how my grandfather met his future wife, Eliza Corrigan, who also lived 18? Lower Moss lane, Hulme....thank you!!. Tom was a carter. Yes you have the correct Edward, but I am surprised to see he has two sons?, They were never mentioned at all, by family...and here is proof that he had them.
the confusion with Edward, is because he seemed to bounce between surnames.
This thread was really started to help another member here, who was looking for an Edward Duffy, But it has helped me tremendously!, Thank you so very much!.

fish4

fish4 Report 3 Dec 2010 17:52

JaneyCanuck, Thank you, looks like Edward died a couple of years before his brother Tom, and this may explain why another searcher has failed to find the death of her Edward duffy?.
thank you for all your help girls!.

fish4

fish4 Report 3 Dec 2010 18:08

JaneyCanuck, John looks to be the eldest. He, .like Edward used both surnames.
Mary remarried?, very quickly, by 1881 census, Edward is 8 months old, head of household is Charles Duffy, wife Mary. Of course in those days of self reliance, a woman would have to find a husband/father/earner for her children.....or starve. :(

Could I ask you kind people to advise me;
After christmas, I intend to join an ancestry site/org.
Questions; Where are you all getting your information from?, as it is brilliant so far!.
Thanks again you superb people!.

Astra

Astra Report 3 Dec 2010 18:14

Ah. Thanks Janey. I had to go and prepare dinner and just came back to follow it on and I see you have done it for me.

Nice one.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Dec 2010 18:16

Oh dear oh dear.

So much information you should have given to start with, to save people guessing and casting about for it. It's always fun when we prove to be right -- but it's so much less frustrating to know what we're looking for from the outset.

Most of the info here comes from Ancestry, I think (mine did). A majority seem to use that, some use FindMyPast, some use both. Either one would be a good buy, I'd say.

Question: there's another thread here about this same thing? Can you give us the link to it please? If that's the case, I wouldn't understand why a separate thread was started. -- Although I guess hers was really a different ED, and you were wanting to be able distinguish?

Astra

Astra Report 3 Dec 2010 18:18

Hi Elizabeth.
The 1911 census record came from Find My Past. The other census details came from Ancestry. The births and marriages came from Free BMD and it looks as though the deaths Janey posted came from Ancestry too. Edward's military record is also on Ancestry.

fish4

fish4 Report 3 Dec 2010 19:10

JaneyCanuck

"So much information you should have given to start with".
Not sure exactly what your referring to here, but my information was very limited until today, when much new info came to light, i.e. I did not know that Edward and his siblings had used both surnames, had never seen the addresses given... etc, too much to detail, suffice to say, I have learnt far more in the last hour or so, about my grandfather, his parents and his brother, that I can tell you, all the above has not been wasting anyone's time, if, as it appears, time was given to help, then it certainly has helped me, and I am very grateful to those that gave it.and maybe it could help Lesley, the lady that asks for help here;

'Surname Information : edward duffy'
A second thread was started because;
Having information on Edward would and did give me information about the rest of his family, in particular his mother, and help me track others..

So no, I am not trying to distinguish between the two, in fact, it matters not to me if they are one and the same or have no relation to each other at all, it may matter to Lesley, as she may want to choose between two surnames if our Edwards are the same..
thank you for your time spent giving me deatils re; Ancestry, very helpful.

fish4

fish4 Report 3 Dec 2010 19:19

Hi Astra,

Thank you for your help, so appreciated. Have so much information from you girls, can now get on track. Two surnames, one family.. real spanner in the works!, but most is clear now... many, many thanks.
I shall join ancestry, and no doubt use the first year learning how to use it!.

Once again a huge thank you to, ( in order of appearance);

ShirleyI,m getting the hang of it.
Astra.
JaneyCanuck.

Your help has given a great amount of new and very useful information. Absolutely brilliant!!!.
Liz

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Dec 2010 19:29

Looked at the other thread -- I get it now!

That's what I meant by "distinguish" -- figure out whether they're one and the same, or not.

They're looking very similar.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/surname_information/duffy/thread/1219795

fish4

fish4 Report 3 Dec 2010 19:42

JaneyCanuck,

They are looking very dodgy!.
If they are the same, then Lesley has a surprise to come, not one that I would welcome too much.
I will be calling for a marriage cert for Charles and Mary, since the expense of divorcing would have been out of reach financially for them. Twists and turns lovely!.