Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas- Kelk, Yorkshire(In Porter thread)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 16 Jun 2009 07:39

THOMAS DALTON Parents
I am trying to find the parents of a Thomas DALTON b. abt 1835/36 in Kelk, Yorkshire who married Charlotte ALLMAN in 1863 at North Frodingham. Fathers name I think may be Matthew Porter?, Farmer. Thomas and Charlotte emigrated to New Zealand that same year. Any information at all would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have the marriage certificate unfortunately the name is very hard to read. Charlotte's father is William ALLMAN, Blacksmith, Driffield area.

I have a copy of his Death Certificate where his name is Matthew Dalton. Which name is correct? No mothers name on either.

Recently received death certificate for Henry Dalton b. abt 1831 brother to Thomas, born in Kelk, mother Ann DALTON, father unknown. Henry married Racheal CROSS in New Zealand.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 16 Jun 2009 07:58

Kelk is in Foston on the Wolds district, so this looks like his baptism.

Search Results | Download | Print

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THOMAS DALTON Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 20 AUG 1835 Foston On The Wolds, Yorkshire, England

Parents:
Mother: ANN DALTON Family

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C106041 1813 - 1872 0919195 Film 6910767 Film

From the baptism it would seem he was illegitimate as only the mother's name given.

Christine

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 16 Jun 2009 13:56

There were 2 Thomas Daltons born in same area both with mother Ann, the other one was baptised in 1830.

THOMAS DALTON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 06 JUN 1830 Foston On The Wolds, Yorkshire, England

Parents:
Father: THOMAS DALTON Family
Mother: ANN

Other Dalton baptisms in same area.

1. MARGARET DALTON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 10 SEP 1826 Foston On The Wolds, Yorkshire, England

2. WILLIAM DALTON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 24 FEB 1828 Foston On The Wolds, Yorkshire, England

3. HENRY DALTON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 31 JUL 1831 Foston On The Wolds, Yorkshire, England

4. THOMAS DALTON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 06 JUN 1830 Foston On The Wolds, Yorkshire, England

5. THOMAS DALTON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 20 AUG 1835 Foston On The Wolds, Yorkshire, England

Thomas 1835 and Henry 1831 just have mother Ann, others have father Thomas and mother Ann.

Christine

Shirley

Shirley Report 23 Oct 2009 01:03

Thank you Christine.

It is a mystery, just received one of his son's birth printout who was born in 1880 and it says that Thomas (the father) was 41 years of age at the time of birth. That would put Thomas as being born abt 1839. I am planning to get another birth printout of an older son/daughter and see if that can give me a more approx. time of birth. ( I think that Thomas's mother Ann married Thomas Butterick in Hotham, Yorkshire, England. There is a David Dalton Butterick who may or may not be his half brother). Still researching into it.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 23 Oct 2009 01:36

If his surname was Dalton, and he named Matthew Porter as his father, it certainly seems his parents weren't married -- making Christine's first suggestion very likely.

He may have known who his father was, but there would be no record of that other than his own words, I imagine.

The censuses don't show any Porter born or living in Kelk, or any Mat* of the rightish age.

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what "In Porter thread" means; no luck, but I did find your previous thread, saying the same in reverse. Old as it is, it's always better to keep the info together in one thread. If you click on "My threads" you can always find any thread you've posted in or started, and adding a post brings it right back up to the top again.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=986062

In that thread you said:

"Recently received death certificate for Henry Dalton b. abt 1831 brother to Thomas, born in Kelk, mother Ann DALTON, father unknown. Henry married Racheal CROSS in New Zealand."

So the match with the two children born to unmarried Ann Dalton seems rather good.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis
/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyYorkshire_(E-H).htm#G

The IGI batch number for births in Foston on the Wolds 1720-1812 is C106042.

1813-1872 is C106041.

There are no Porter births there 1720-1812. Loads of Daltons, though.

Ditto for marriages -- M106041 and M106042. One Porters marriage, 1731.

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Apr 2013 06:19

Shirley, I have the marriage certificate for Thomas Dalton, and my great grandmother, Margaret Butterick signed as witness. Thomas with his wife Charlotte and his brother Henry Dalton, sailed on the Lancashire Witch with Margaret Butterick for New Zealand in 1863. Thomas marriage cert states father was Matthew Dorter. My mentors at my genealogy group say it would depend on how the recorder heard the name and how it was pronounced and it may just be a case of mispronunciation. As Margaret's mother was Ann Dalton, it has been suggested Thomas and Henry were her half brothers. They certainly remained in close contact on their arrival here. I have also visited Thomas and Henry's graves in Ashburton, NZ. Have photos for same, my email is [email protected] if you want copies. Best wishes, Patricia.

Fredk

Fredk Report 10 Apr 2013 07:36

Patricia

Just a bit of friendly advice.It is against GR rules to post an email address. I suggest you click on edit and remove it. You can replace it with "Send me a PM"

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Apr 2013 08:18

Patricia

Shirley has not re-visited this thread since 2009, and, indeed, never acknowledged the last helpful posting

If you think her e-mail is still the same, click on her name, and send a message.

Please always check dates when adding to threads....................