Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joyce Richardson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joyce

Joyce Report 16 Mar 2003 15:09

My family lived in Gateshead. My father was Robert Miller Charlton he married Sarah McGill, after his first wife Lilly McGill my mothers sister died. Our family consisted of me - Joyce, brothers Robbie Colin and Brian who was our half brother, as my mother had him before she married my dad. Also living with us when we were young were my cousins Tommy, Danny, and Jean Bowe, from my mothers side of the family, as their parents were dead. my father was born at, 9 Charles Street, Gateshead, Co. Durham. (now Tyne and Wear) on August the 17th 1920, His Father was George James Charlton. born 1888. His mother was Priscilla Isabella Charlton, Nee: Langford. I do not know much on this side of the family. They moved to Deckham in Gateshead, when I was small, and lived in Meadway Crescent. Both my grandparents died when I was very young, I can remember my grandfather being refered to as 'Old Blood' and my grandmother being called ' Bonny Black Bess' as she had beautiful black hair, and was very pretty. My fathers brotheres were John, Sammy, Septimous- or Seppy as he was refered to. Richard(Dickie,) there was also Geordie, John,and sisters Betty and Cilla. Untill I was about 4 or 5 we lived in Alfred Street, off Prince Consort Road in Gateshead. Then we moved to Springwell Estate. The only part of the family I mixed with as a youngster, was my cousins from Seppy's family, being Sammy, Robert, and Precilla. Both Robert and Precilla are now dead.Robert through an accident and Precilla from an illness. I knew a little about my aunty Betty's family and also my Aunty Cilla as I had contact with them when I was a child, and in the 70s, when I was grown up. Part of the familly was in scrap and coal. They always seemed to be around horses, either in the scrap yard side, or as an interest. I would like anything at all on this familly. Whether in family members, births deaths, anidotes, or just plain memories. I would like to know more about the roots of my grandparents, and their history. My father was a miner till the sixties then he started to go out whith a horse and cart for scrap, He left my mother in 1969, and went to live in Middlesbrough, and had worked a scrap yard there before comming back to Gateshead in the 80s. He died in march 1992. I regret not getting to know more about him as a man, than I knew of him as a father.