Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Raymond Gregory Bown

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tania

Tania Report 25 Jan 2008 17:53

George Raymond Gregory Bown or maybe Strutt-Bown married a Freda Doris White (Born 1922) in Wycombe in 1943. They had 5 sons between them and I have now hit a massive brick wall. Please, please, please if you can help you would be so brilliant.

Kind Regards
Tania.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 25 Jan 2008 19:11

Which way are you trying to go, Tania?

Find the sons/descendants of George and Freda, or find the ancestors of George?

If the second, do you have the marriage certificate and does it have his father's name?

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 27 Jul 2013 22:31

Tania, George was born George Thomas Bown in 1905 in Chatham. His father was Frederick Joseph Bown and mother Catherine Lilian Bown (nee Philip). He had two brothers, Frederick born 1898, Arthur, and Joseph born 1912, plus two sisters Lilian Gertrude born 1900 and another sister known as Connie, but it may have been a middle name. Father was born in Derby and mother in Northumberland. we are not sure why he changed his name, but both his daughter in law and myself are trying to discover. There is an Irish connection, not sure when he went there or why, but he returned to England in about 1919 at the age of 14.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Jul 2013 22:36

Hello Lindsey, it's over 5 years since this thread was posted so Tania probably isn't checking back for replies.

You could click on her name to send her a direct message. She'll be notified of your contact if she has an up to date email address registered on her account.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jul 2013 22:53

If only that were the case, MC

GR are not currently notifying messages sent by PM.............haven't done so for some time.

I haven't had one notification in the last two months at least...............

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Jul 2013 23:00

Reggie, I beg to differ - I'm receiving all notifications of pms.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Jul 2013 23:12

So am I Reggie. Perhaps you should contact GR and let them know or check in your "account" to see if email notices have been switched off.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Jul 2013 23:19

On the marriage record George is recorded as George G. R. S. Bown.

All five sons are in the birth index and all born either Wycombe or Eton.

Kath. x