Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Black

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 7 Apr 2003 16:50

I'm trying to track down a James Gavin Black, b. 1857, 5th child of Rev John Black of Newcastleton, Roxburghshire and grandson of William Black, cotton weaver, Airdrie. James Gavin Black was declared the "black sheep of the family' (for unknown reasons), emigrated to Australia, presumably in the 1870s, and was never heard from again. I would be delighted to pick up any connexions with him or his descendents. (I am the grandson of his brother Armstrong.)

Debz downunder

Debz downunder Report 3 Nov 2007 19:39

Hey David
Just a thought but have you searched through the convicts to Oz. I found a couple of lost ones there.

Anne

Anne Report 2 Apr 2013 19:14

Hi Dave

If you are the grandson of Armstrong Black, you are my 3rd cousin once removed. Can we compare notes?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Anne

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Apr 2013 20:07

Hello Anne - welcome to the boards, David's post is 10 years old and he's never returned to the boards (only 1 post under his name). There isn't much chance he'll come across your reply.

You should edit your post to remove your email address. This isn't a secure site so someone could come across it, that's why it's against Genes t&c to post emails on the boards.

If anyone wants to contact another member they just click on the person's name and it opens up the GR message system. You could try clicking David's name to attempt a message that way. He'll be notified of the contact if he's still an active member and has kept his email address on his GR account up to date.

(Have also sent a pm so give Anne time to come back)