Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

David Anker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 24 Feb 2003 13:51

Hello My ANKER ancestors were in and around Whittlesey in Cambridgeshire from the late 1600s. I have been able to trace some of these families down to the 1901 census. There were a number of other ANKER families in Cambridgeshire around Doddington and Benwick from the early 1700s. My Great Great Grandfather moved to the Rochdale area of Lancashire in the late 1860s. Through searching various websites and message boards, I have come across the name ANKER and variations in Cheshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, and to a lesser extent, Northumberland, Hampshire, Worcestershire, Kent and London. I think that the Cambridgeshire ANKERs came to England from Holland in the early 1600s as part of a group of families working on drainage projects in the Fens. In the 1600s, I have found a number of records for HANCAR, and some of the Christian names correspond with people who were later recorded as ANCHOR and ANKOR. It would be interesting to hear from other ANKERs and to see when they first appeared in this country or where they came from. David Anker